The second 2016–17 RI Board of Directors meeting was held from 19th–22nd September, 2016. At this meeting, the Board reviewed 12 committee reports and recorded 64 decisions.
Ten key decisions:
- Set up criteria, guidelines, and a timetable for rezoning the Rotary world;
- reaffirmed that developing the Rotary vision and strategic plan is a top priority and approved an action plan to execute and monitor;
- added district-wide strategic planning to the responsibilities of the District Governor;
- asked the Rotary Institute to provide comprehensive governor-nominee training with Rotary subsidy starting in 2020–2;
- agreed to reduce the time frame of the International Assembly by one day, starting in 2021;
- received a report on membership trends that included as of 1 July 2016 the following data:
- membership: 1,209,491 Rotarians (down 1,578Rotarians from 2015)
- clubs: 35,399 (up 285 clubs from 2015)
- average club size: 34members
- affirmed the dates of the 2018 Rotary International Convention to be 24–27 June 2018 in Toronto, Canada;
- agreed to enter into a memorandum of understanding with Lufthansa to help grow their Entrepreneurship Camp model for a term ending in2020;
- broadened its policy regarding Rotary Friendship Exchanges to allow for participation by Rotarians and non-Rotarians with the goal for participants to experience cultural immersion and intercultural exposure;
- supported President Germ’s plan to grant the Rotary Award of Honor to Jack Nicklaus and Dolly Parton.